Friday, September 5, 2014

Hello, My Name Is...

Late last spring, while I was driving along Main Street, in the heart of downtown Penticton, British Columbia, I noticed a mauve building trimmed in muted yellow with a couple of shops in it. One of the shops was called Saint-Germain Café Gallery.

Having worked in the "coffee-shop biz" off and on for more than a decade and having spent several years back in the 2000s publishing an arts and literature magazine, I was instantly drawn to the café gallery. An amalgamation of my two passions in life: coffee and art… how could I not stop. Once I stepped inside, looked around and tasted the food, that initial curiosity of mine turned into adoration. Little did I know then that only a few months later I would be taking over ownership of Saint-Germain.

My name is Christopher Millin and I am so very excited to become a part of the art and food community in Penticton… to continue on with the great work Brigitte and Stephano Liapis have put into the café/gallery over the past four years… to continue making it a place where you can get a great sandwich and cup of coffee, and see some amazing original art by a wide range of contemporary Canadian artists.

On September 15th, 2014, Saint-Germain Café Gallery will change ownership. What won't change are the creative and tasty soups, sandwiches and salads you love to eat, and the unique, beautiful and inspirational works of art you love to look at.

One change you will see is a little more online presence. I love sharing the amazing things we're going to be doing with the bigger world. Through this blog, through our Facebook page, our Twitter account, or even our Instagram account you will see a bit of the art we're displaying, or hear about the new bites we're offering. These are the places where you will also learn about community events we're involved in and events taking place in our little gallery.

My past also includes writing and photography, and as all writers and photographers know, these are hard things to give up. That's why, when I'm not preparing the best sandwiches in Penticton, or making the best darn lattes in Penticton, or prepping the gallery for new shows, I'm writing about them and taking pictures of them and sharing them here... with you.

Of course, I'd much rather meet you in person, so if you live in Penticton or happen to be traveling through, stop by the café and say hi. Currently, we're open from 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday and 9am to 3pm on Saturdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment